Every relationship has ups and downs; no relationship is perfect in this world. We have to struggle for making any relationship successful. Everyone has to play their part in building relations. Struggles, sacrifices, attention, and respect are needed to make a relationship. There are two types of relationships. Healthy and successful relationships make you secure, happy, respectful, and free from all the worries. The second one is unhealthy and toxic relationships which are hard to handle. You feel lost and drained all the time. It is a state of consistent unhappiness. You have to recognize and it’s time to bring some change in your life. In this article, we will discuss what is a toxic relationship and the Signs of a toxic relationship.
- 1 What Is A Toxic Relationship?
- 2 Signs Of A Toxic Relationship
- 3 Can A Toxic Relationship Survive?
- 4 Quotes On Toxic Relationship
What Is A Toxic Relationship?
It is not a healthy relationship in which people don’t support each other; there are always conflicts, jealousy no support system, always competition, and lack of love and respect. A toxic relationship is like a punishment for the people who are involved in it. They always live in a sort of depressed environment. The toxic relationship causes many types of mental as well as physical damage.
Signs Of A Toxic Relationship
Now we will discuss the signs of a toxic relationship. You can recognize these signs if you are in a toxic relationship.
1- Lack Of Trust and Support:
There is trust in toxic relationships. Your partner always doubts you and he will never support you in any matter. A healthy relationship is based on mutual support and partners admire and stand with their partner. Your partner will never admire you for achieving your goals.
2- Abusing All The Time:
Have you missed those romantic and funny conversions which you used to have with your partner? Now, these conversations turn into toxic communication and abused language all the time. Whenever both of you talk,
3- No Peace Of Mind
Every relationship has some type of tension and worries but in a toxic relationship, you are in a constant state of stress and tension. There is no peace of mind for a single day. This constant stress can cause mental and physically ill.
4- You Avoid Talking To Him
You know he will not talk in good manners and will show rudeness. So You always avoid talking to him/her. Because once you start a conversation, it will end in an abusive fight.
5- Controlling Behavior
Your partner wants to control your behavior and actions. Questioning where you went or why are coming so late. Sometimes he/she calls or texts you and won’t reply immediately. He will become aggressive and upset. These are the surefire signs of a toxic relationship and controlling behavior.
6- You Are Ignoring Yourself:
Due to a toxic relationship, you are ignoring your health and self-care. You are not following your self-care routine, your hobbies, and neglecting your family relations. You are becoming bored and neglecting yourself. So you don’t want to talk or meet someone. You made your life a mess.
7- You Are Avoiding Your Needs:
We all have some desires and needs in any relationship. These needs may be financial or emotional. Emotional needs may be sexual relations, love, affection, and praises. In a toxic relationship you avoid all these needs and sometimes when you talk on these topics, your partner ended up in a fight.
8- He/She Disrespect Your Family And Friends:
Toxic partners always disrespect your family and friends. Partner does not like to meet your relatives and when you want to invite your friends at your home. He argues and doesn’t want anyone to come to your house.
9- No effort In Solving Problems:
Your partner doesn’t make any efforts to resolve the issue and settle down the problems. If you make any effort and trying something to make your relationship healthy, he will make fun of you and reject your effort.
Can A Toxic Relationship Survive?
Most people think that toxic relationships are never saved, but this does not happen always. Most important is the willingness of partners, whether they want to save their relationship or get rid of it. Sometimes one partner wants to save a relationship, and the other doesn’t care for it. The willingness of both partners is important. You both have to sit down and decide what is the future of their relationship.
How To Improve Relationship
Here is some suggestion that will help you in saving and improving your relationship.
- You both have to contribute your part in making the relationship better and investing time.
- Start the conversation to sort out the conflicts and problems. You both have to listen to each other’s point of view.
- Self-awareness and self-responsibility are important factors. You have to accept your responsibilities and recognize your faults.
- Avoid Blaming and step forward to understanding. You have to understand no one is perfect, everyone has individual differences. So you should understand and learn from each other’s behavior.
- Don’t look back or dwell in your past. You have to forget the past and step forward to the future to repair your relationship. Don’t refer to the negative scenario of the past.
- Go for outside help. You both need to start relationship therapy to make things better. Sometimes counseling helps you to find out your hidden conflicts.
- Healthy communication is the key point in building healthy relationships. You have to look at your talking style. Maybe your way of talking is also authoritative, and you are hurting your partner also. Avoid sarcasm and mild jabs.
- Things never settle in nights. It takes time for improvement in the relationship. You need to practice patience and flexibility. Sometimes it takes a month to resolve the issues.
You May Find It Helpful
- How To Be Loyal In A Relationship- 8 Ways To Follow
- Emotionally Unavailable Men- Signs And How To Deal With It
- How To Comfort Someone Who Is Sad-Do’s And Dont’s Of Comforting
- I Hate My Husband – Reasons And Solutions
- Why Relationship Counseling is Important for Healthy Relations
Quotes On Toxic Relationship
“A normal relationship has its ups and downs. A toxic relationship, however, puts you in a black hole of self-doubts and guilt.“
“leaving a toxic relationship is never easy, especially when you are still in love. Your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows.”
“Life is too short to hang around people who are causing you to compromise. Pulling you down. Your time is too valuable to waste it with people who don’t have a dream. People that aren’t going anywhere. You don’t need to make some big announcements, but little by little, you should spend less time with them.” ― Joel Osteen
“A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dream, or your dignity but a toxic one.”
“Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.” ― John Mark Green
“Mental abuse is much more painful than physical abuse because you are consumed by your thoughts.”
“If he makes you lose your family, lose your friends, lose your confidence, lose your self-esteem, or lose your happiness, then you need to lose him.”
“There are only two kinds of people who can drain your energy: those you love, and those you fear. In both instances, it is you who let them in. They did not force their way into your aura, or pry their way into your reality experience.”
“Stop telling yourself you can fix him. He’s been this way for a long, long time and he doesn’t intend to change. Save yourself instead, get out while there’s still time.”
“When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it or cut them off.“
“I seem to be torn between ‘I wish we’d met earlier and ‘I wish we’d never met.”