“School makes me depressed and I don’t want to go to school anymore”, if your child complains about this more often, then you need to pay attention to this matter seriously and instantly.
The following points highlight the causes and hardships a school going kid faces. Researches reveal that below mentioned factors are responsible for depression in school going kids.
WHY DOES SCHOOL MAKE ME DEPRESS: 8 POSSIBLE FACTORS & CAUSES
School is the first step when a child is away from family. For a child, to cope with this new journey, is not easy.
In school, neither a kid has parents, nor siblings or friends. There, he is on his own.
Some kids get used to this change quite soon and adjust easily; whereas some face a lot of problems and hardships. They start to feel that school makes them depressed.
1. SCHOOL MAKES ME DEPRESSED BECAUSE I AM AWAY FROM PARENTS
Parents, especially mother, remains with kids from their birth till they start to go to school. It doesn’t mean that the kids are never away from parents; in fact, at that time when they are away from parents, they are with their grandparents or siblings or with other known faces. Whereas school is the whole new concept for them.
The idea of staying away from parents and going to the new place, where every face is new and unknown might make the kids depress.
2. A NEW ENVIRONMENT AND ADJUSTMENT PROBLEMS
School is a whole new concept for a kid. There, he has to wear a uniform, be disciplined, and follow all the rules.
Whereas at home, kids roam around as ever they want. The new environment is not always easily adjustable for many.
Some take days and some take months.
Some share everything with their parents and are proved to be extroverts but some just go silent and show up as introverts. They secretly and silently go through all the problems they face during the adjustment process.
3. GOOD FRIENDS- HARD TO FIND
Whether it is your first day in school or your first day at a new school (after changing school), the problems that are faced by both kinds of kids is to find a good friend.
Some kids are so friendly that they make friends instantly. They take initiatives and are not shy to start a conversation with other kids.
Some kids are not so open to talk to new people. They are reserved and don’t talk much. They don’t take initiative by themselves. If someone else starts a conversation then fine; otherwise they sit quietly in the class.
These kinds of kids are more likely to get depressed in the initial days of their school.
4. BULLYING- A CURSED ACT
It kills. Bullying is such a disturbing act that can even take lives.
Kids for the sake of enjoyment make fun of other students. A group of students usually gang up against one student and tease him. They make fun of him, his appearance, his way of talking or walking or it could be anything else.
This act disturbs the victim so much that he starts to feel oppressed and feels so much ashamed that he starts to make excuses to go to school or hide away from those students when in school.
This thing makes the child depressed and he starts to hate school as well.
Cases of bullying even sometimes result in suicide attempts.
5. UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNKIND ATTITUDE OF TEACHER
Teachers are the most important pillars of education system. They are like a second parent to the students.
But if some student feels bad about a teacher, then it becomes difficult for that student to like going to school as well.
Sometimes the behavior of a teacher is so unprofessional that might scare out the student.
If a teacher is always commenting badly about that student, by insulting in front of the whole class, by punishing and passing discouraging remarks; then how that student could feel comfortable in school?
Instead, the role of a teacher should be to understand the psyche of the student and try to solve the matter professionally.
The negative behavior of one teacher could affect the kid so much that he might start to get fearful of that teacher, might not want to go to the school just because of that teacher.
It makes that student depressed and fearful.
Passing negative remarks in front of the whole class affects the self-esteem of a student. This makes him shy and he avoids talking in class with other fellows out of shame.
Teachers should be the hero for the students not the villain of the story.
6. LOW GRADES MAKE ME ANXIOUS AND DEPRESSED
The grading system has broken the whole learning system. Everyone is running after the grades.
Whether students or teachers or parents, everyone always focus on grades. It doesn’t matter how the grades have been achieved, whether the concepts are cleared or cramming or cheating was the tool to get those grades, it’s only the grades that matter.
This system is not only dangerous for the educational systems in the long run but also affects the growth of students so much.
Those students who could not obtain good grades are so much degraded by their parents that they sink into depression.
This system should be changed.
7. CONSTANT PRESSURE TO MAINTAIN GRADES
Those who obtain good grades have this constant pressure; that they have to maintain their position.
They become teachers’ favorite students and to keep that position sustained, they work so hard.
Hard work is good but this pressure affects the mental health of students and if somehow they could not maintain their grades as high as last time, then they become depressed.
8. LACK OF PARENTAL GUIDANCE AND SUPPORT
It is the most important point that can resolve all the above-mentioned problems in one sitting with their child.
Unfortunately, it is observed that most of the kids who are depressed because of their schools, lack parental support and guidance.
WHAT CAN BE DONE WHEN SCHOOL CAUSES DEPRESSION IN STUDENTS
Depression in school going children is not rare; but this problem can be solved with our joint efforts. Parents, school administration, friends and teachers should help the depressed student to enjoy school life without being stressed.
1.ROLE OF PARENTS
Following are the important points that parents of school-going students should take into consideration:
- Your kids are going to school to learn new things, not to become a systematic machine that is going to produce good grades no matter what.
- You need to understand that grades are not as important as to clear their concepts. Grades are not going to help them in the professional field but their expertise
- Understand your children; ask them how their day was at school. Keep an eye on their abnormal behaviors. Try to develop a friendly relationship with your kids.
- If your child is telling you that he does not want to go to school then listen to him, ask him politely about what has happened.
- If he does not answer and you feel that there is something wrong, then visit the school, talk to his teacher. Try to figure out what is bothering your child. Because it’s not always just an excuse but could be some serious issue as well.
- Tell them you are with them no matter what. Advice them to work hard and to score well. And if they could not score well, tell them it’s ok. Encourage them that they can do better. Appreciate the hard work that they did.
- Always encourage them, don’t degrade them ever. This will shatter their confidence and self-esteem.
- Never compare your child with other children. They are on their own; comparison will not make them any better or worse.
- Parents are the ones who need to understand their kids because they are the ones who can save their child from school depression.
YOU MAY FIND HELPFUL
- How to Relieve Stress and Anxiety- Simple Tricks
- How To Let Go Of Anger- An Ultimate Guide On Anger
- I Feel Like A Loser-5 Factors And 6 Things To Do
- How To Comfort Someone Who Is Sad-Do’s And Dont’s Of Comforting
2. PART OF COUNSELING CENTER:
After parents, it is the responsibility of the school administration to build up a system of counseling in schools for the students.
3. SUPPORT OF SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKERS:
School Social Workers act as the evaluators for the proper working of the school in terms of emotional and mental stability. They provide counseling and psycho-social services to the students of the school. Students having any psycho-social problems visit school social workers and they provide the proper counseling and if needed, arrange a meeting with teachers and parents as per requirement.
It deals with the problems ranging from difficulty in understanding the particular subject, to bullying and depression in students.
Setup of School Social Workers in schools is the need of the hour and will help students deal with the depression and other psycho-social issues.
SCHOOL MAKES ME DEPRESSED: AN EXPRESSION FORM LYFLINEZ
“School makes me depressed”; it’s not just a routine sentence to hear from the students. It is the collective responsibility of parents, teachers, school administration, and students to work till it ends. So It can be cured if handled timely and seriously. It doesn’t happen without any real reason. Look around in your circle and try to help if someone is suffering from it.
Have a nice day.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.